Monday, March 29, 2010

My latest obsession!

I LOVE hamburgers!  After a hard workout, it's the only thing that sounds really good.  True story!  But with all the yucky stuff that fast food restuarants provide for their so called "hamburger", it's tough to justify eating one on a regular basis.  But, making it at home, with quality ingredients is the exception.  I found this delicious hamburger recipe and thought you might enjoy it.  With only 320 calories per serving and 11 grams of fat, we could eat this everyday.  (believe me i would like that.) 

Green Chili Cheeseburger by Cook This Not That

1 lb. ground sirloin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can (4oz.) roasted green chilies, drained and chopped (fresh chilies are even better)
4 slices Swiss Cheese (I used baby swiss, a more mild taste)
4 potato buns (we used organic multi-grain from Alpine Bakery)
4 thick slices tomato
4 medium slices red onion
  • Heat grill, stovetop grill pan, or cast-iron skillet.  Season the beef with salt and pepper.  Form 4 patties, being careful not to overwork the meat.
  • When the pan is hot, add the burgers.  Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on the first side (until nicely charred), then flip and immediately top each with a tablespoon of chiles and a slice of Swiss.  For medium-rare burgers, continue cooking for another 3 to 4 minutes, until the patties are just firm.  Remove the burgers and toast the buns on the hot grill or pan.  Dress the bottom of the buns with tomato and onion slices, then top each with a burger.

5 comments:

The Cheetah said...

Wow, that sounds super tasty Jessica! I'm gonna try out your recipe this week. Thanks for sharing it! You're awesome!!!

jessi said...

Hope you like it! It's a great change from the good'ol american classic. Let me know what you think.

Unknown said...

I love a jazzed-up hamburger recipe! They are always better at home. Thanks!

jessi said...

You bet, tanya! I hope you love it as much as I do!!

Meredith said...

Steve gets Men's Health and we always read the "eat this not that" section. I think we should get some of his books!